We encourage all of our students to take up extra-curricular opportunities outside of their lessons. These are chances to learn new skills, explore new hobbies and develop socially.
After lessons finish at 2.45pm, our staff put on a range of clubs that students can take part in. In addition, during the year students will have opportunities to go on special trips or hear from guest speakers.
Sports clubs and teams, competitions and Sports Day
The PE staff create an exciting new timetable of after-school clubs each half term. Our PE department offers activities for girls and boys and for all year groups – some mixed and some for particular groups.
The timetable changes each half term to include seasonal sports such as cross-country in the autumn, and athletics in the summer, as well as popular sports such as football, netball and rugby. Students who want to play for the academy’s teams against other schools should attend these clubs for the best chance of being picked.
The PE department organises a range of fun sports competitions between our academy Families across the year.
Each summer, we organise a sports day which take place at the Manchester Regional Arena and give students a chance to represent their academy Family in track and field events.
Art, Music, Drama and productions
Students are offered a broad range of opportunities in the arts, including:
- after-school art club where students can unleash their creativity
- after-school drama clubs where students can hone their acting skills
- individual lessons in woodwind, string, brass, percussion, guitar and vocal skills arranged by our Music teachers during the school day (please contact our Music staff to ask about availability and timetables)
- after-school Rock Band, Academy Big Band, String Group and Choir
- the Art, Music and Drama departments come together for an annual Christmas concert and an annual production in the spring. Students have the opportunity to get involved in singing and acting, performing live music, working behind-the-scenes and creating sets and props.
- We also host the Blackley Music Centre provided by One Education music services on Thursday evenings.
The Library and academic clubs
Our wonderful academy Library, staffed by experts (adults and students) provides a great place for students to work independently and explore the world through our extensive Library collection. There are thousands of fiction and non-fiction books, graphic novels, manga, newspapers and magazines, a careers section, computers and more! Students can sit and study at tables or relax and read on our comfy chairs and beanbags. The Library is open before school from 8am, at break and lunch times, and after school until 3.30pm.
Some subject areas run clubs for students to learn beyond the curriculum, including some aimed specifically at Gifted, Able and Talented students. These include Debate Mate, Photography Club, Chess Club, Science Club and more.
Trips and guest speakers
During the year, our staff strive to find opportunities to take students on trips that bring the curriculum to life or which give them the opportunity to experience new things. We often welcome guests into the academy to bring different voices that enhance our learning.