Who can be a Governor?
We welcome all enquiries from people who want to be a Governor in one of our academies. If you’re interested it may best to compare yourself to our ‘person specification’ – to see if you’d be a good fit.
- A genuine interest in the education of children
- A commitment to co-operative values, principles and ethos
- Personal integrity and the ability to be open and honest
- Sound, independent judgement and the courage to stand up for what they believe in
- Common sense and diplomacy
- The ability to establish credibility with the professional workforce
- The ability to think creatively and to meet challenges with innovative solutions
- People focused with an empathy for others
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Clear understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, liabilities and responsibilities of governors
- Sufficient time, commitment and enthusiasm to fulfil the role
Skills and Experience
- Strong business acumen or experience in education
- Experience of strategic decision making
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
- High level experience and skills working with stakeholders/residents/communities; and/or
- High level experience of working in a business enterprise; and/or
- Experience of education provision and improvement
- It would also be helpful, but not essential, for governors to have experience as a board member in another sector or as a governor or trustee of another school
- Specific professional experience in HR, performance management, estates management or financial management.